Working as a lawyer since 1992
Rik van Waasbergen graduated with a degree in Dutch law from Leiden University in 1991. His thesis was on maritime law. Following his studies, Rik emigrated to Cape Town, South Africa, where he worked at a large trading company. While in Cape Town, he also did an internship at a law firm specialized in transport law. After nearly two years he returned to the Netherlands as a seaman aboard the m.v. “Silverfjord”.
Rik began his career in the Netherlands in 1992 as a lawyer with NautaDutilh. He became a partner at Van der Wiel Advocaten in 2002, and a subsequently at Van den Herik & Verhulst in 2013.
Transport, International Commercial and Insurance Law
- advising on cargo damage claims (both on behalf of cargo interests and on behalf of carriers)
- disputes of contracts of affreightment and similar disputes
- collision, salvage and wreck removal, and general average affairs
- drafting of and advising on agreements such as affreightment contracts, pool contracts, commercial, engineering and management contracts, logistics contracts and terms and conditions.
- assistance in criminal and administrative disputes related to oil contamination and regulations in the field of waste products
- handling disputes and advising on national and international road transport (e.g. CMR) and air law
- contracts and disputes concerning shipbuilding and yacht building
International Commercial Law and Customs Law
- disputes and advising on international trade agreements and other contracts
- arbitration proceedings, both national and international
Insurance Law (both maritime and ‘dry’ insurance law)
- policy disputes and liability
- court proceedings and arbitration proceedings
- shipping (P&I)
- transportation, logistics, warehousing
- national and international trade
- Dutch Law, Leiden University (1991)
- Grotius specialization course in transport law
- Netherlands Bar Association (NOvA)
- Netherlands Maritime and Transport Law Association
- Netherlands Transport Law Association
Rik van Waasbergen has registered the following principal (and secondary) legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister):
- Transport- and commercial Law
Based on this registration, Rik is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- alongside his work as a lawyer, Rik is also an arbitrator in FENEX cases
- member of the Committee on revising the Rotterdam Guarantee Form